Paula M. Mayo
President and Executive Director
Welcome to the website for The Interchurch Center, a visible symbol of the oneness of many churches in Christ and reflective of the inspiring growth of ecumenism and inter-religious activity in the United States in the past century.
The Interchurch Center was first envisioned as a tangible symbol of growing unity and of joint service in Christian enterprises better done together than separately. After years of persevering effort by dedicated workers, the inspired dream became a reality when on November 17, 1957 the ground breaking ceremonies for The Interchurch Center took place. Beginning with a worship service in James Memorial Chapel of Union Theological Seminary, the congregation moved in procession to the Center site where, under an architectural rendering of what the new building would one day be, the first soil was turned.On May 29, 1960, the completed edifice was dedicated in moving ceremony that marked the official opening of a new chapter in the movement for a greater unity among churches in the United States.
Currently the Interchurch Center is the home of over 70 organizations which represent community development, educational initiatives and inter-cultural and religious exchange.
The Interchurch Center is owned and managed under the auspices of several Christian Organizations as a Class A office facility, with the mission to provide a working environment that is conducive to ecumenism and interreligious involvement.
To further this mission, The Interchurch Center will:
- Maintain a high quality, state-of-the-art building with superior accessibility and a range of convenient tenant-related services.
- Draw on traditions of hospitality within our Christian heritage, which intentionally promote a sense of community and respect for diverse religious views.
- Establish programs and services that support tenant agencies and offer opportunities for networking and exchange among all tenants.
- Seek to be a positive presence in the surrounding neighborhood.
ADMINISTRATION OFFICE OF THE INTERCHURCH CENTER
The Interchurch Center Administration office is responsible for providing oversight and management of the physical property known as The Interchurch Cenrer (TIC), and manages the directives and policies established by the building's Board of Trustees.
The Administration office includes the following departments:
- The Stafford Peale Library
- Wellness Center
- Music and Arts Programs
The Administration office provides support services for tenants employees including:
- Photo ID Passes
- Building Orientation for new employees
- Conference Room Reservations
- Interoffice Mailboxes
- Catering Services through ARAMARK
- Long Term and daily parking permits
- Lactation room
The Administration office is located in suite 240.
Main number 212.870.2200
Hours of operation: 8:45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.